Thursday 12 July 2012

Considering our future

The future seems to be a hot topic of discussions lately. Maybe it is because this is the time in my life when I actually have to start considering my future. And with the future come a job, eventually. I have chosen my undergraduate degree course (History of Art), but apparently that isn't far enough ahead.
I know what my interests are but I don't know what I want?! I'm still only a buba in my family and yet I need to pick an occupation? Nahh
I have always been told to do what I love, so I have, up to this point. Is this the right thing to do, or should I follow a path that I know will be more stable?

We all get asked as children what we want to be when we're older. We all say completely irrational answers or ones that just will not ring true. Por ejemplo, year 2, age 7: I wanted too be a pop star (irrational), my best friend wanted to be a lion tamer (also irrational), and my other best friend wanted to be a pet shop owner (won't happen).  Looking back, all three of us, who are still in contact 10 years later (brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?), laugh at these suggestions. Hysterially.

I may not know what I want to be or what the future holds, but I am excited to find out. I want to finish my A-levels, go to university and graduate! I know I am not alone and I know that I do not have to know exactly what I want to do as a career just yet. But I also know that I don't want to go through life feeling unfulfilled...

As my aunt said, when I asked her how she knew what she wanted to be when she was older, "I'm 50 and I still don't know!"

This concerned me slightly, but did however put me at ease.
Moral is, you may never know, and that's okay.

I still sing, just not often to other people...
Maybe become a writer?

Not quite a lion but will a tiger do?

No comments:

Post a Comment